How to choose between design options
If you need to choose between two or more interface design options, consider these questions.
- Which one performs better in usability tests?
- Which one feels better to use, e.g. in a prototype?
- Which one creates the least absolute annoyance (i.e. annoys the least people, and/or annoys people the least)?
- Which one uses interaction or visual patterns that match expectations the most?
- Which one is more flexible with variable data (e.g. long names, many table rows)?
- Which one is easier to develop?
- Which one will last longer without updates, changes, or improvements?
- Which one is easier to iterate on, either by designers or developers?
- Which one is more beautiful?
- Which one is preferred by the people with the most power in the organisation?