Non-interface factors that affect interface design
Here are some things that can affect the approach taken with an interface.
- If a software market is crowded, interface quality becomes a more important way for companies to stand out.
- If a company is focused on growth, interface quality often suffers as the company tries to release a lot of changes as quickly as possible.
- If a company is focused on growth, certain interface elements might be promoted (e.g. upsells) which wouldn’t have been promoted otherwise.
- If a product is larger, a more systematic approach to interface design is often required. This generally leads to a plainer/more flexible interface.
- If a product has a large target audience, visual design often becomes plainer to appeal to as many people as possible.
- If certain approaches to interface design become popular in the market, some companies will follow that trend to fit in, and others will avoid the trend to stand out.