The ways software competes
Software competes either with other software, or with inaction. These are the ways I’ve found software can compete. This list is useful if you want to consider how design can help software compete.
Also note that some companies choose to compete in some of these ways at the expense of others.
- Prestige (e.g. hype, ability to boast)
- Identity (e.g. “it’s what businesses like us use”)
- Capabilities (e.g. features, integration, customisability)
- Pre-commitment company experience (e.g. sales process, social proof)
- Pre-commitment software experience (e.g. appearance, sales demo)
- Post-commitment software experience (e.g. usability)
- Post-commitment company experience (e.g. support)